ここから本文です

全文訳お願いします( ; ; )

t_o********さん

2017/5/514:00:05

全文訳お願いします( ; ; )

I believe in always going to the funeral. My father taught me that.

The first time he said it directly to me, I was 16 and trying to get out of going to calling hours for Miss Emerson, my old fifth grade math teacher. I did not want to go. My father was unequivocal. "Dee," he said, "you're going. Always go to the funeral. Do it for the family."

So my dad waited outside while I went in. It was worse than I thought it would be: I was the only kid there. When the condolence line deposited me in front of Miss Emerson's shell-shocked parents, I stammered out, "Sorry about all this," and stalked away. But, for that deeply weird expression of sympathy delivered 20 years ago, Miss Emerson's mother still remembers my name and always says hello with tearing eyes.

That was the first time I went un-chaperoned, but my parents had been taking us kids to funerals and calling hours as a matter of course for years. By the time I was 16, I had been to five or six funerals. I remember two things from the funeral circuit: bottomless dishes of free mints and my father saying on the ride home, "You can't come in without going out, kids. Always go to the funeral."

Sounds simple — when someone dies, get in your car and go to calling hours or the funeral. That, I can do. But I think a personal philosophy of going to funerals means more than that.

"Always go to the funeral" means that I have to do the right thing when I really, really don't feel like it. I have to remind myself of it when I could make some small gesture, but I don't really have to and I definitely don't want to. I'm talking about those things that represent only inconvenience to me, but the world to the other guy. You know, the painfully under-attended birthday party. The hospital visit during happy hour. The Shiva call for one of my ex's uncles. In my humdrum life, the daily battle hasn't been good versus evil. It's hardly so epic. Most days, my real battle is doing good versus doing nothing.

In going to funerals, I've come to believe that while I wait to make a grand heroic gesture, I should just stick to the small inconveniences that let me share in life's inevitable, occasional calamity.

On a cold April night three years ago, my father died a quiet death from cancer. His funeral was on a Wednesday, middle of the workweek. I had been numb for days when, for some reason, during the funeral, I turned and looked back at the folks in the church. The memory of it still takes my breath away. The most human, powerful and humbling thing I've ever seen was a church at 3:00 on a Wednesday full of inconvenienced people who believe in going to the funeral.

閲覧数:
回答数:
お礼:
100枚

違反報告

ベストアンサーに選ばれた回答

プロフィール画像

カテゴリマスター

msq********さん

2017/5/514:25:13

私はいつも、人は葬儀に行くものだと信じています。私の父はそれを教えてくれました。

彼が初めて私に直接言ったとき、私は16歳で、私の古い第5学年の数学の先生であるエマーソンさんの授業に出るをやめさせようとしました。私は行きたくなかった。私の父は断固としていました。彼は言った、 「デイ、あなたは行かなければならないんだ、常に葬儀に行く。家族のために、そうしなさい。」

だから私が中に入っている間、私のお父さんは外で待っていた。それは私がそれがそうであると思ったよりも悪かった。哀悼の意を表した列ががEmerson先生の親の前に来たとき、私は「お悔やみ申し上げます」と言ったなり逃げ出しました。しかし、20年前に言った同情深い奇妙な表現のために、エマーソン先生のお母さんはまだ私の名前を覚えていて、いつも目を合わせるとこんにちはと言います。

それは私がシャペロンではなくなったのは初めてでしたが、私の両親は子供たちを葬儀に連れて行っていて、何年もの間も電話をしていました。私が16歳になるまでに、私は5つか6つの葬儀に行きました。私は葬儀の回路から2つのことを覚えています:フリーミントの底なしの料理と私の父は乗りの家で「あなたは出かけることができません、子供たちはいつも葬式に行きません」と言っています。

シンプルに聞こえる - 誰かが死ぬと、車に乗って通話時間や葬式に行く。それで、私はすることができます。しかし、私は葬儀に行くという個人的な考え方はそれ以上の意味を持っていると思います。

「いつも葬儀に行く」というのは、私が本当に気に入らない時には、正しいことをしなければならないということです。私は小さなジェスチャーをすることができるときにそれを思い出さなければなりませんが、本当にする必要はありませんし、私は絶対にしたくありません。私は、私には不都合なことを表すものを話していますが、世界は他の人に話しています。ご存じのように、苦しい出席の誕生日パーティー。ハッピーアワーの病院訪問。シヴァは私の前の叔父の一人を呼ぶ。私の平凡な人生では、毎日の戦いは良い悪い対悪ではありませんでした。それは叙事詩ではありません。ほとんどの日、私の本当の戦いは何もしないと良いことをしています。

私は葬儀に行く際に、壮大な英雄的なジェスチャーをするのを待つ間に、私は人生の不可避の、時折の災害を分かち合う小さな不都合にこだわるべきだと信じてきました。

3年前の寒い4月の夜、私の父はがんで静かに死亡しました。彼の葬儀は、週末の水曜日に行われた。、私は何日もぼう然としていました。何らかの理由で、私が葬儀中に教会の人々を振り返って振り返ったとき、それを思い出すと今でもまだ私は息をのみます。私が今までに見た最も人間的でパワフルで謙虚なことは、水曜日の午後3時に、葬儀には行くものだと信じている不幸な人たちのいる教会でした。

みんなで作る知恵袋 悩みや疑問、なんでも気軽にきいちゃおう!

Q&Aをキーワードで検索:

Yahoo! JAPANは、回答に記載された内容の信ぴょう性、正確性を保証しておりません。
お客様自身の責任と判断で、ご利用ください。
本文はここまでです このページの先頭へ

「追加する」ボタンを押してください。

閉じる

※知恵コレクションに追加された質問は選択されたID/ニックネームのMy知恵袋で確認できます。

不適切な投稿でないことを報告しました。

閉じる